Use your pie pumpkin to make a good old, traditional pumpkin pie!
- 2 cups fresh pumpkin puree (cut pumpkin in half, bake 'til soft, scoop out flesh and puree in a food processor)
- 1 tablespoon crystallized ginger
- 1 1/4 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup (packed) light-brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 9 inch pie shell, chilled
- Sweetened whipped cream (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2. Process the pumpkin puree in a blender with the ginger and half-and-half until the ginger is smooth, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; whisk in the next eight ingredients until well blended. Reserve.
3.Place 2 sheets of heavy-duty foil, one on top of the other, directly on the surface of the pie crust. Bake the crust in the lower 2/3 of the oven until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Remove the foil; bake 5 minutes more. Remove shell from oven. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F.
4.Pour the filling into the pie shell and bake until a knife inserted into the center of the pie comes out clean, about 45 to 60 minutes. Cool on a rack. Serve dolloped with sweetened whipped cream, if desired.