This contract outlines the relationship between you, the member, and Valley Flora, the farm. Please read it in its entirety so that you are fully aware of your commitment as a member.
I understand that risks and rewards are inherent to farming: that there may be bountiful bumper crops, and that certain crops may fail. I agree to share in those risks and rewards with Valley Flora and other farm members. I am willing to commit now to purchasing a share of the harvest for the entire season. I understand that it is my responsibility to pick up my share within the stated timeframe, or arrange for another to pick it up, otherwise I allow Valley Flora to donate my share. I understand and agree to Valley Flora's refund and cancellation policy, described below.
A. Becoming a Part of Our Farm
Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) is a relationship between our farm, Valley Flora, and you as our customer. Rather than simply purchasing food, our customers become “members” of our farm who receive a portion of the farm’s harvest.
Our CSA runs for 28 weeks, from June to December. As a member, you are responsible for showing up at your pickup site each week to pick up your Harvest Basket and/or Abby’s Greens. The variety and quantity of produce in the Harvest Basket will vary throughout the season.
B. Our Growing Practices
We farm using exclusively organic production practices, however we are not third-party certified organic. We follow and exceed all of the organic rules and regulations as outlined by the USDA's National Organic Standards.
C. Anticipated Produce for the Season:
The link below outlines some of the produce we hope to deliver and when you may see it in your share. This chart is based on our best estimate, but weather, pests, and other events will affect actual production.
D. Our Shared Commitments
1. Sharing in the Risk of Crop Failure
We promise to do our best to provide you with a bountiful, seasonal share each week. The quantity of produce, however, may vary from week-to-week due to extreme weather, insects, or other production factors beyond our control and despite our best farming efforts. By joining our CSA, you are agreeing to share the risk of crop failure with us and other members. In the unlikely event of a crop failure, our protocol is as follows:
If crops fail, we compensate for the failed crops by filling your share with other crops grown on the farm that are ready for harvest at that time and/or later in the season.
2. Sharing in the Reward of Crop Surplus
In addition to our CSA, our farm sells to restaurants, grocery stores, and via our farmstand. Our CSA receives priority. After filling our CSA share with the week’s harvest first, the remainder is sold to our other markets. We have learned that members can be as dissatisfied and overwhelmed by too much produce as they are dissatisfied and underwhelmed by too little. For this reason, we try not to overload you with too much of any one thing at one time.
E. Picking Up Shares
You are responsible for picking up your share each week from your pickup site. You are responsible for observing our pickup site rules, which are as follows:
- Bring your own bag to take your produce home in and leave the emptied tote and lid at the site.
- Pick up your share within the stated timeframe.
- Only take salad if you have paid for and Abby's Greens Salad Share. Please read all labels and be sure to take the correct bag of salad home.
- Be respectful of our drop site hosts’ property.
- Follow any additional rules posted for your drop site
If you cannot pick-up your share, you must arrange for someone else to pick it up for you. You are responsible for explaining the pick-up location and procedures to your substitute. Shares that are not retrieved within the stated timeframe will be donated to a local food pantry.
If you wish to change your pickup site, please contact us via email (email@example.com) with two weeks notice prior to the effective change date.
We take the safety of your food seriously. For your added protection, wash all produce before eating it and put frozen and perishable products in the freezer or refrigerator as soon as possible.
F. Member Fees & Refunds
By selling membership in advance of the growing season, CSA reduces the burden of up-front costs for the farmer. Your membership fees provide us with money to purchase seed, fertilizer and equipment before the season starts, to pay for spring labor, and to help stabilize the farm’s overall finances. We appreciate your commitment tremendously. It makes our farm financially sustainable and economically viable.
We understand that from time to time people’s circumstances change and they become unable to fulfill their commitment as a CSA member. This is our refund and cancellation policy:
- We do not offer refunds on the following items: Abby’s Greens Salad Shares. If you sign up for one of these shares but cannot fulfill your commitment, we ask that you find someone to take over your share for the remainder of the season. Please notify us if this happens and provide us with your replacement’s email address so that we can include him/her in our weekly communications.
- We offer limited refunds on Harvest Baskets, described below. We require that you give us four weeks cancellation notice if you plan to end your Harvest Basket membership, in order to give us adequate time to fill your spot with a new member. All cancellations will incur a $50 cancellation fee and will be processed as follows:
- Refunds for Paid in Full Harvest Baskets: We will pro-rate the cost of your Harvest Basket based on actual value of produce you have received through your last week of participation and refund you the balance minus the $50 cancellation fee. Please note that you must give us four weeks notice and you must pay for those final four weeks, even if you are unable to pick up your produce during those final four weeks.
- Refunds for Monthly Pay Plan Harvest Baskets: Your initial deposit is non-refundable. We will calculate the actual value of produce you have received, including the 4 week cancellation notice period. We will subtract the pro-rated value of the food for this period from your deposit. If the value of the food exceeds the deposit, we will charge you the balance plus the $50 cancellation fee.
G. Late Payments, Late Fees and Harvest Basket Suspension
Members who opt for the monthly pay plan are expected to pay their $100 monthly fee by the 1st of each month, June through November. Payments received after the 15th of the month will incur a $25 late fee. If payment is not received by the end of the unpaid month, your Harvest Basket will be suspended until payment is received.
H. Communicating with Us
The best way to communicate with us is via email. Our email is firstname.lastname@example.org. The best time to reach us in person by phone is Wednesdays, from 9 am to 1 pm (541-348-2180). You can also leave a message at this number anytime, although it may take a couple of days to return your call. We will do our best to respond as soon as possible, but please know that we operate on a lean staff and spend most of our time in the field growing your food, rather than in the office. For last-minute correspondence, you can try texting Zoë's cell phone: 541-551-0314. Be forewarned that reception at the farm is spotty at best, so messages do not always reach her in a timely fashion.
We will communicate with you primarily by email. When you sign up, you will be added to our email list (unless you opt out, but please don't!). Please read your email from us. We depend on being able to communicate important information such as necessary changes to your pickup schedule. Every week from June through December, we will email you our newsletter, the Beet Box, giving you information about the produce available that week, recipe ideas, or other farm-related news. If you share your Harvest Basket with another person, please be sure we also have their email so we can keep them in the loop.
Although unlikely, Valley Flora may change parts of this agreement related to production and distribution from time to time. We will contact you via email in advance of any changes to this agreement.
By clicking the box below, I agree to all of the terms and conditions described in this member agreement.