Helps to have a mandolin for this recipe (the kitchen slicing gadget, not the musical instrument....though that, too, could help:).
- 1 to 2 pounds carrots
- 2 tablespoons Sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound Savoy cabbage, thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
- Equipment: an adjustable blade slicer fitted with 1/8-inch julienne attachment
Cut carrots crosswise into 2-inch pieces, then julienne with slicer. If you don't have a slicer, you can either do this by hand, or just grate them. Whisk together vinegar, brown sugar, cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a bowl, then add oil in a slow stream, whisking until emulsified.
Toss cabbage and carrots in a large bowl with enough vinaigrette to coat. Season with salt and let stand 30 minutes before serving.