- 6 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 small-medium unpeeled beets, scrubbed, tops trimmed
- 1 big bunch of shallots, peeled
- 2/3 cup pecan halves
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 small heads lettuce, torn
- 2/3 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese (about 3 ounces)
Preheat oven to 375°F. Brush large baking sheet with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Place beets on prepared baking sheet and roast beets 30 minutes. Add shallots to same sheet. Sprinkle beets and shallots with salt and pepper and roast 30 minutes. Push beets and shallots away from 1 corner of sheet and scatter pecans in corner. Roast beets, shallots and pecans until vegetables are tender and pecans are golden brown, about 6 minutes. Cool vegetables and pecans to room temperature, about 15 minutes.
Whisk remaining 6 tablespoons olive oil, vinegar and garlic in small bowl to blend. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer pecans and shallots to large bowl and add lettuce. Peel and slice beets; add to salad. Toss salad with enough dressing to coat. Sprinkle with Gorgonzola cheese and serve.