2 bunches collard greens or a mixture of collards, kale, chard, spinach, turnips tops, etc.
sea salt and freshly ground pepper
3 medium yellow potatoes, scrubbed and diced
3-4 strips bacon, cut into small pieces (optional)
2 Tbs. olive oil
1/2 onion or 1 bunch scallions, chopped
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
pinch of red pepper flakes
hot pepper sauce or vinegar for the table
- Strip the collards from the stem and wash. Bring a few quarts of water to a boil. Add salt and the greens and simmer for 5 minutes. Scoop collards into a bowl. Add potatoes to the cooking water and simmer until tender, 7-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a skillet or in the oven. Set aside to drain.
- Heat oil in a pan (you can use a little bacon grease, too). Add the onion and sautee about 5 minutes.
- Chop the cooked greens, then add them to the pan along with the garlic and pepper flakes. Scoop some of the potato water into the pan so that everything cooks in a little moisture.
- When potatoes are tender, scoop them out and add them to the greens. Add the bacon, toss everything together. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve and season to taste with hot sauce and/or vinegar.