The colorful salad makes a delightful first course, or it can be enjoyed as a side dish with grilled London broil.
- 6 medium beets with tops (about 2 pounds)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (preferably extra-virgin)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried dillweed
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced sweet onion (such as Maui or Vidalia)
Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut off tops from beets and reserve. Wrap beets in large sheet of heavy-duty foil, enclosing completely. Cut off long stems from beet leaves and discard. Thinly slice beet leaves. Rinse leaves under cold water. Wrap leaves in small sheet of heavy-duty foil, enclosing completely.
Place foil package of whole beets directly onto oven rack. Bake 1 hour 15 minutes. Add foil package of beet leaves to oven and bake until beets are tender and leaves are wilted and tender, about 15 minutes longer. Open foil packages and let beets and leaves stand at room temperature until cool enough to handle. Rub beets to remove skins. Cut beets into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
Whisk vinegar, oil and dill in large bowl until well blended. Add beets, beet leaves and onion and toss to coat. Serve warm or room temperature.
Bon Appétit | May 1996